Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tom Lehrer

"I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up."

August.21.2007:Tuesday
Do I? Truly? When I think about my lecturer, yes, I would consider that true. When I think about salesmen unable to communicate with me because I refuse to speak to them in chinese, yes, I would consider it true. When I think about those trying hard and yet failing, will that still be counted as true? Then, I start thinking about those who are timid, and yet are trying so hard to speak up. And those who know the limits to their own communication skills, but is doing their best to set a whole new limit for themselves.

Communication is such a troublesome thing. Getting a point accross had always been more than enough for me. Although, there are times when, getting the point accross takes more skill than necessary. Why? Hurdles of shyness, embarassement, fear, and even the lack of confidence are often in the way. Worrying if the one you're talking to is going to reject you, laugh at you, not react in the way you expect, be offended; or worse still... stares blankly at you as though you've made no sense. At that time, does "getting the point accross" matter anymore?

I can all but wonder.

-koRi-

Tom Lehrer also said...
There used to be certain words you couldn't say in front of a girl. Now, you can say them, but you can't say 'girl.'

PS: Found this amongst quotes from Tom Lehrer. It was cute. Cynical and... definitely not true. Right?

1 comment:

Kenny Chan said...

Hah?! Ami?!
Wa beh hiao tia engrand lerr...

XD