Thursday, March 13, 2008

Through Science

As a 22 year old, I realize I've grown up mostly in a Christian home (I spent the first three years of my life watching my parents worship their ancestors before they decided to accept Jesus into their lives). Therefore, a lot of teachings I've received are from the Bible. About how to live my life, about how to approach things, about how to deal with issues. So you could say I learn a lot on Sunday from Sunday School teachers and MIF talks. I'm pretty thankful for all this.

One of the things I'm most thankful of is my love for science. Today, I was listening to a lecture by Peter Doherty and he said something that reminded me why I loved science so much. "Everything in science can be questioned. Everything is open to reanalysis and reinterpretation." Just as it is with the Bible. Sure, everything God says is definite and everything God says is law. But anything and everything anyone says about God is questionable. Jesus taught us to question the teachings of teachers and to test everything. In science, we learn that what anyone says is not true until proven but a set of data. In the same way, the Bible taught us to test for the truth lest it be proven otherwise (1 John 4).

What we know as Science laws and theories are really what God has set since the beginning of time. We're merely discovering what God has made all this while. Even if we say we're playing 'god' by rearranging genes and making clones or transgenic animals, it is not wrong to say that we're merely rearranging what was already there. We're not even close to knowing how to construct our own genes! Our human brain cannot even begin to comprehend how God has made this entire world with a four letter code. Every day in genetics taught me and showed me more and more that God exists.

He really does!

No comments: